Thursday, January 06, 2005

Stages

With so many people losing someone close whether it be to the earthquakes, tsunami, accidents, old age or even relationship breakups, I thought that I'd do some reading up on how people handle loss. Came across the 5 stages of loss that I remember vaguely studying in Psychology class many years ago. Thought I'd put it up as a reminder on how to cope.
The 5 stages are
(1) denial,
(2) bargaining,
(3) anger,
(4) despair,
(5) acceptance.

For more detail, take a look at
Coping with Loss

Seems a number of my friends are in the midst of breakups. So strange that it happens at this time though. I wonder if it is just coincidence, or that events around have somewhat triggered latent things? hmmmm.

I remember the first time I was rejected many years ago. I sometimes can still feel the kind of pain, when I hear of others going through that. The feelings of inadequacy, anger, disbelieve, despair and finally acceptance is not something I would choose to go through if I had a choice. However, I know that it is exactly through these painful experiences and trials that we can discover much about ourselves, others, God and grow.
The only thing for sure is that time will heal, and God will provide a way to cope, so don't give up. Have to endure a little bit of time.

"2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."
James 1:2-5

13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
1 Cor 10:13

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well said. may God continue to teach us things we never knew.

anyway just to inform you i've finally launched my site officially hehe cos school's starting...

http://www.volumefusion.comcan go check it out if ya free..and the contest too if you are in need of some webspace..

agape
elaine