Friday, October 31, 2008

Losing my history

When people go through natural disasters and their homes get destroyed either by earthquakes, fires, floods or other calamities, the most important thing that they look for when they can get back to their destroyed homes are photographs... snapshots of moments in time, captured onto little pieces of paper. Everything else is gone, but photos are the only thing they can carry with them to remember the good times - a comfort in difficult times.

In this digital day and age of the digital camera, we seldom print out pictures anymore. All our memories are now stored on hard drives, flash drives, CDs, DVDs etc.
So what happens when technology lets us down? A friend of mine lost all her precious photos when she accidentally formatted her iPod with all the digital photos stored inside. Some people might think... yah it's just a bunch of photos.... but in reality, quite often it is the only link left with people you've invested time with, who now live far away, or you don't get a chance to meet so often. So I can feel and share the pain of that loss.... hopefully she'll be able to find a way to recover the files.

How many of us really back up our digital data? I'm also guilty of that... doing it once every month or so if I can. The digital parts of our lives are becoming so much of our reality that we will be lost without them. Recently, I accidentally deleted all my MSN contacts when I was resetting my temporary phone..... unfortunately, it also resulted in my entire online MSN database being deleted and my losing all my friends online.... It was such pain... like losing loved ones...
So I had to go back to asking people to give me their contacts and added them again one by one until now where I have about 80% back.... maybe I'll never get the remaining 20% back...

No comments: